Oats (Avena sativa) is a species of cereal which provide the following benefits:
1. Nutrient Dense - Good source of carbohydrates, protein and fibre, including the fibre beta-glucan. Oats also contain more protein and fat than most grains and contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
2. Satiety - Oats contains soluble fibre which remains in the stomach longer which may help you; feel fuller and eat fewer calories throughout the day.
3. Cholesterol - The soluble fibre in oats may decrease low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol/bad cholesterol.
4. Blood Pressure - Studies show fibre can also decrease the risk of high blood pressure and reduces risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease.
5. Blood Sugar - The water soluble properties of beta-glucan in oats help control blood sugar by slowing down digestion time which can help achieve better glycemic control and prevent insulin resistance.